Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin
Song: Diary of Jane
The band ‘Breaking Benjamin’ who wrote the song “Diary of Jane” are an American alternative rock group, who’s music video for this chosen song has a mixed type of video which is performance based with a symbloic narrative. It shows connotations of alternative rock music as well as stereotypical conventions of music videos.
Breaking Benjamin has released four studio albums Saturate in 2002, We Are Not Alone in 2004, Phobia in 2006, and Dear Agony in 2009. Curently the band includes members Benjamin Burnley, Aron Fink, Chad Szeliga and Mark Klepaski .
This music video is directed by Ryan Smith and released on June 21, 2007, after originally being scheduled to release on June 16.
Within this music video we see many of what I would call the stereotypical genre characteristics within the soft rock genre. For instance throughout the music video there is a constant use of electric guitar which is often a major signifier of the rock genre. Furthermore there is a use of a guitar solo, within this music video which again is often related to the rock genre, as it shows of the talent of the guitarist. This is important because we could use this in our music video as would be good to show of the talent the artist which is what one of the purposes of music videos are. Also the music video has another genre characteristic, that the majority of the music video is in a dark place, with colours like grey and black at the forefront of the video. Also this genre, stereotypically is known to have emotional lyrics and back story to the song, shown by the facial expression of the actress and lead vocalists. Also the mise en scene creates a gloomy emotional atmosphere, with the smoke, which could be in putted into our song as it is about losing love and the dark place you are in.
However there is a divided storyline between a woman, who through analysing the title and lyrics can be depicted as ‘Jane’ who is seen in a white dress, which shows that the mise en scene of this character contrasts, creating as Levi Strauss’ theory states binary opposites, as white symbolises purity and innocence, which contrasts to the black, and grey costumes of the band symbolising the overall minor tonality of the song..


The setting for the music video, as conventional within alternative rock music, appears to be abnormal and isolated as the band are shown in a deserted mansion, which is set as quite dark with low key lighting to reflect the darker mood and nature of the song. Which is conventional to have lighting representing the mood, therefore by using limited and low key lighting this music video initially established to the audience that this will be a dark song with a minor tonality.

The mise en scene of the music video, specifically the costume of the band also conforms to the conventions of alternative rock music as the band are dressed in smart/causal dark clothes, giving connotations of darker themes conforming to the aforementioned dark nature and tonality of the music, established by the setting and lighting. Which appears to be common within the genre of music, meaning ’Breaking Benjamin’ are meeting their audiences expectations within the video by conforming to the social stereotypes, helping to secure fans of this video and ultimately boost the publicity of the band through creating an effective media product.

The editing within this music video is highly significant through the use of cross cuts of the band and a series of close ups on the lead singer, Benjamin Jackson Burnley giving him the majority of screen time, conforming to the conventions that the lead singer is shown with a‘star persona’ within the music video, promoting his image to his fans, whilst producing a stereotypical music video for this sub genre of rock music.




The jump cuts between woman and the band is also significant as this divided storyline shows both ‘Jane’ and the band within the music video, this is highly significant as this music video through the use of the character ‘Jane’ focused upon in the lyrics means that this music video conforms closely to an illustration video, whereby the actions of the woman playing ‘Jane’ tell the audience the story and hint towards possibly interpretations and meaning of this song. This therefore creates visually one interpretation of the song for the audience to watch and become engaged in, whilst also including an element of performance within the video as there jump cuts back to the band playing is stereotypical within music videos.


Furthermore to an extent this video can also be seen as an illustration video as well as adisjuncture video due to the abstract setting and range of camera angles, edited in a way so that multiple similar shorts of the band and compiled creating at times, a disorientating experience for the audience. Also the camera angles within help to build tension within the music video as a tracking shot is used to lead towards a door, creating suspense as the music builds initially and helps engage the audience as the song begins. Additionally the wide shots allow the audience to see the entirety of the band playing together whereas the constant close ups and low angled shots of the band and lead singer allow them to take up the entirety of the screen, giving them a higher status from the perspective of the audience, impacting upon their views of the band in a positive way, this is significant as the range of camera angles helps to maintain the pace of the song when the tempo increases and the song speeds up, meaning that the editing carefully fits with the music to create a successful music video, which is engaging and also has a level of professionalism to help boost the bands reputation.

Although the performance of the band and equally the acting of the woman playing ‘Jane’can be analysed as effective as a contrast, however as the song continues it could be seen that if the director were to include a third element within the video, the content could be enhanced to create a more engaging music video with a broader scope for inventive and creative possibilities which would enhance the overall quality of the video. Despite this the music video can still be seen as effective due to the conventions and stereotypes of alternative rock music that have been conformed to, creating an engaging and technically interesting music video, due to detailed editing and a range of camera angles.

There is some relationships between the lyrics and visuals, but as half of the video is performance based, we don’t have as much time for the relationship between lyrics and visuals. But there is some relationships between lyrics and visuals, for example within the lyrics it says ‘something in the way’, its referring to the fact she is a vampire with the indexical signs of, the touching of the neck and the fact she cant be seen in the mirror. Also there is some obvious use of lyric/visual relationship when in the song it says 'look the other way’ the actress In the song turns around in shock. This obvious relationship between lyrics/visual could be in putted into our song, as it is simple yet effective. Also at the end he puts a rose into what looks like a diary, which links to the lyrics because he refers to wanting to be put 'in the diary of jane’ which the rose is, so the conclusion brings the song to an end, which again we could have a conclusion in our song.


There is a relationship between the music and the visuals because the instruments we hear are the instruments we see playing. This creates a link to the audience because we see the talent of the band and how skilled they are which makes you admire them more. Furthermore there is a relationship because the editing is in time with the music so the effect is stronger as it goes with the beat. This cold be in putted into our music video so it has a stronger effect.

Within this song there are not many intertextual references apart from the fact it seems to be a dark vampire story, so it includes stereotypical vampire traits, like the not being able to be seen in the mirror and the bite marks on the neck. Also the story is in a stereotypical setting for a vampire story as it is in a large mansion/castle.

Another important feature with any successful music video and specifically this one, due to the performance accounting for the majority of the video, is the lip syncing being successful and continuous throughout, which is shown within the music video as even throughout arrange of shots and different camera angles the lip syncing from the lead singer, as well as the instruments being played by the rest of the band are successful and help create continuity between shots, giving an overall level of professionalism to the music video enhancing the status of the band in their specific sub genre of music.
Overall the music video for ‘Breaking Benjamin’s’ “Diary of Jane” is effective for a song within the alternative rock genre of music, due to the conventions and audience expectations as mentioned above that have been successfully met, and enhanced by the successful use of technology and camera work, creating ultimately a successful music video.
Lyrics of Diary of Jane:
If I had to
I would put myself right beside you
So let me ask
Would you like that? Would you like that?
And I don’t mind
If you say this love is the last time
So now I’ll ask
Do you like that? Do you like that?
No!
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
So tell me how it should be
Try to find out, what makes you tick
As I lie down, sore and sick
Do you like that? Do you like that?
There’s a fine line, between love and hate
And I don’t mind
Just let me say
That I like that! I like that!
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
As I burn another page
As I look the other way
I still try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
So tell me how it should be
Desperate I will crawl
Waiting for so long
No love, there is no love
Die for anyone
What have I become?
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
As I burn another page
As I look the other way
I still try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
I would put myself right beside you
So let me ask
Would you like that? Would you like that?
And I don’t mind
If you say this love is the last time
So now I’ll ask
Do you like that? Do you like that?
No!
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
So tell me how it should be
Try to find out, what makes you tick
As I lie down, sore and sick
Do you like that? Do you like that?
There’s a fine line, between love and hate
And I don’t mind
Just let me say
That I like that! I like that!
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
As I burn another page
As I look the other way
I still try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
So tell me how it should be
Desperate I will crawl
Waiting for so long
No love, there is no love
Die for anyone
What have I become?
Something’s getting in the way
Something’s just about to break
I will try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
As I burn another page
As I look the other way
I still try to find my place
In the diary of Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment